We should recognize that there is a difference between the ignorant and the morons.

We should see it as a good thing, not a bad thing, that some people find an interest and enjoyment in firearms and/or shooting after they become adults. The more hunters and firearms enthusiasts, the harder either group is to kick to the corner in political decisions. The unfortunate downside of that is that, unlike those of us who grew up with firearms being mentored by fathers, uncles, older brothers, or the military we joined, the novice adults often join the club with no background other than the process of purchasing a firearm. Those are people we need to get to and help along the learning curve when they display ignorance.

Then there are the morons. These are the ones who should and do know better, and yet act in an unsafe/unethical manner. For these people, absent obviously sincere grovelling and remorse, I say show them no quarter. Aside from doing us as a group more harm than good, the potential carnage from indifferent and dangerous firearms handling while in the middle of a group of others, is absolutely unacceptable. Remove them from the herd before they do harm.

Our range is thrown open to the public for one weekend each year prior to the opening of rifle season. We charge a very nominal fee; there are also experienced knowledgeable members there, complete with the tools for checking scope mount screws, action screws, advising on sighting in, etc. Lots of positive benefits to that. Hunters and shooters that are not members get to see the range. Having the supporting members on hands is the same as having lots of ROs on the firing line. Unless a shooter sticks their head up their butt and refuses to listen to advice or runs out of ammo, they will at least leave with a properly sighted in rifle. And finally, a chance to talk with newbies and help them out as much as possible.

I'll admit I avoid busy days on the range like the plague. After so many years of the enforced order and smooth transitions in the military of groups moving on and off the firing points, targets being quickly scored and replaced, etc., the ambling pace of trying to do the same thing efficiently on our civilian range just ain't for me. There's always at least one guy who has to walk out to the 400 yard butts... God bless 'em all, I'm glad they're enjoying themselves, but it just ain't for me. On the other side of that, if I'm out at the range testing loads and have my chronograph and other tools of mass confusion out, I don't want to be the slow guy that other guys are just waiting on.