Quote Originally Posted by JGaynor View Post
Thanks for the additional pictures.
Two more questions: Is there a punch mark on the underside of the barrel (6 o'clock) roughly centered between the front sight cuts? How many grooves are there in the barrel?

One suggestion. Loosen the three screws that clamp the scope tube and slide the scope tube forward. Leave about a 1/16" clearance between the front edge of the data plate and the back of the rear ring.

Your rifle was undoubtedly used and subsequently rebuilt at Rock Island Arsenal. The 9/43 barrel is in all likelihood the original as is the keystone scant stock with factory inspection stamps. I agree this rifle is most likely a DCM sales rifle.

i would not pay any mind to the assertions that there are "no records anywhere".
Jim --
Thank you very much for the reply and the suggestions. I did move the scope forward as you mentioned and agree, the eye-relief is much more comfortable and more "natural" feeling.

As to the punch mark, I did look carefully where you mentioned and yes, there is a faint punch-mark at about the 5 o'clock position! Never noticed this before, but then again, you guys are the experts and that's what I'm here to learn about. What exactly does this mark mean? My guess is its an arsenal rebuild mark? And the barrel is a 4-groove barrel and mirror-shiny. I don't have a muzzle gauge to measure it but I don't have any doubts that it is within tolerances.

Is there any way to determine if this is in fact a DCM sales rifle? And if so, does that take away anything from its value? Its getting to sound more like the "no records anywhere" may have been just a bit of hype by "Uncle Whoever", only adding to the mystique of its origin, I guess.....

--728shooter