Hello to all from a relative "Newbie" to this site. Really impressed by all the threads I've been reading. Have a question regarding the scopes used on the 1903-a4's....

Recently acquired a very nice 1903-a4 from a family member of a WWII (or Korean War?) vet. Rifle looks as if it was never issued and has a rather rare "Z" prefix serial number, which according to info I've read, dates it to Jan-Feb '44 manufacture or issue. Rifle came with original staked Redfield scope mount, but no scope or rings. Have acquired correct 3/4" scope rings and am trying to figure out which scope was originally issued with this rifle.

I understand that the Weaver model 330-C, which was a commercial model, was originally selected as the scope for this rifle, and was later assigned the military designation M73B1. I have read that early Weaver scopes for this rifle were marked either model 330-C, M73B1, or even model 330 M-8. However, the models 330-C that I have seen have adjustment knobs that were friction-locked, whereas the military specs required "click-adjustments", which only the model 330-M 8 has. I assume that the M73B1 is the same.

My questions are; Is the model 330 M-8 the correct "early" scope used on the 1903-a4? At what point in time were all Weaver scopes marked M73B1? Given the manufacture dates of the rifle I mention, what was the correct scope for it at that time? And at what point in time did the Lyman Alaskan take over as the standard military issue sniper scope in WWII for the 1903-a4? I have a chance to buy an Weaver 330 M-8 and want to make sure it's correct for this rifle.

Thanks to all for any & all input. --728shooter
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.