This was posted on the gunboards forum, SMLE Wire Cutter They were introduced in LoC Para. 18,516 dated January 1917 and differed from the previous (MkI) patterns in that they pointed forward, had longer horns and were operated by pushing forward against the wire. There was no corresponding pattern for the Ross as it had been withdrawn from front line service by then.
It was designed such that the wire ran along the top of the sword bayonet and entered the jaws of the cutter, rotated it and cut the wire... Quote"""""

Just trying to clear up if there is any difference, besides the longer one jaw/finger and added rivet between the MkI & MkII wire cutters. And that info above is a bit confusing. Is it saying that a bayonet will only fit on the rifle with a MkII cutter on it and will not with a MkI cutters on the rifle?
I'm away from my MkI cutter and I can't recall if a bayonet could be fitted to my rifle while the MkI cutter was on the rifle. Could someone with a MkI cutter, see if a bayonet will fit on the rifle with it on the rifle. If it does, then apparently the only difference between the MKI and MkII cutters may be the longer jaw and added rivet on the MkII. Ray
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.