I cross-posted this on CMPicon and CSPicon forums as well. As in my post here, I am attempting to learn as much as I can to restore a M1903A4.

Well, as the title states, I just got a sporterized M1903A4 for a good price. Found it Friday night on a Facebook page of all places, and made a 90-mile round trip Saturday morning to get it. It has been polished / blued, barrel shortened about 2 inches, has a Tasco scope and rings, and sits in a Fajen stock. However, it has the original bolt (polished only) and original Redfield base. All of the remaining USGI parts have "R" stamps. The S/N is 3411908, which sits in the first block of M1903A4s. The guy I bought it from said he bought it at a sporting goods store about 6 years ago, and has been hunting deer with it. He sold it to help get up a down payment on a new truck. I have some stock photos from FB attached.

I know to restore this I will need to replace the barrel and other missing USGI parts and refinish as well. I will probably get a C-stock from CMP or The Collector Source. I took it completely apart to check things. I added a safety, since it was missing. I swapped the Tasco scope for a Weaver K10 I had, and the safety clears. The K10 will suffice until I can get a correct or correct repro scope or maybe a K2.5. With a strong light, I saw the faint markings on the barrel, RA 3-44, so it was re-barreled somewhere in its lifetime.

Looks like this rifle was probably built in June / July 1943. According to Remington Society Production Data and Serial Number Schedule letter I found online, I'll need a Feb to Sep 43 barrel for a correct restoration, probably 4 groove.

This is my first exposure to a real M1903A4, outside of a museum or gun show exhibit, so thanks for your patience in any questions. I already have a Remington M1903 and Remington M1903A3, so I'm not totally ignorant on the basic rifle. I guess now I have the trifecta, huh? I don't expect to get it restored quickly, but I like to do my research in the meantime. Thanks.

Now the fun begins.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.