I would like some help on identifying the breakdown of the rifle numbers attributed to SLR's and other weapons which were distributed around UKicon/Canadaicon and Australiaicon.

I have always been of the belief that say for example: UB60A89811 given to an SLR rifle was broken down in the following method:
UB manufacturer locator, 60 the year of manufacture and the A89811 as the actual rifle number.
Am I correct or have I been dreaming for years.

To complicate things even further in my studies I found a number of SLR rifles with only these numbers stamped on them which puts my theory to cock: A93166 nothing before it, and A154067 again nothing before that either just their basic numbers.
This one threw me completely: 3354 yes an actual stamped MOD press rifle.

Anybody out there with any better definition of how the numbering was made.

A further example attributed to L81A1 rifles which have ALL been stamped in the format I thought was to cover year of manufacture and serial number of the rifle ie: UP83A4064.
SA80's the same: UE88A064683.
So I am sure someone out there knows the real reasons, it cannot be adhoc or our Colonial brothers could have a rifle duplicated elsewhere.
Is this a Canadian thing perhaps or from a manufacturer in Australia where the start letters and numbers have been dropped??
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.