Well, hopefully not too destroyed. I want to bring some respect back to this girl -correcting some things her previous owner did.

First - just your standard Savage No4 Mk 1/3, stock cut back and some interesting "modifications". From this angle, she doesn't look too bad.

First, it appears that the barrel has been cut behind the bayonet lugs. I'm fine with that, I believe I should be able to remove this atrocity of a front site and put the original back on. I'm unfamiliar with using solder - is this a type that I can carefully remove with a propane torch? Or definitely a gunsmith in order?

Biggest question/concern, is the bolt head slot - I'm not sure if it has had material removed, or if it wore this way. In some instances the bolt head will bind on this. When I replaced the bolt with another, it seemed to run a lot better. Maybe just get a new bolt head and polish what is there? Could material be added to build this back up?

And just for your entertainment - he even modified the magazine. Obviously this can be replaced

Thanks again for your wisdom!
Don
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.