Greetings all,

Pics below.

I have here, something. When I acquired this it was completely rusted over and I thought it might be a fun restoration project. As I've stripped away the layers of rust, I have no idea what it is. The guy I got it from said it was an Enfield Three Band. I've restored about a dozen Lee-Enfields but this is my first foray into black powder. I'm not convinced that this is three band though as the lock and barrel are marked "GR". I'm used to GR with Enfields (George the 5th for No 1s and George the 6th for No 4s) so at first I didn't really notice. However, George the 4th died in 1830 (20 years prior to the three band). I would expect that three bands would be marked VR? Also, there was only one band on it when I got it. It could have lost the other two (or one) over the years. It also doesn't appear to be rifled as far as I can see. It's a percussion cap but this could have been converted from an earlier fintlock I guess. Tower lock.

Other marks,
- it appears to be stamped "GP Parsons" (light stamping). No clue what that is
- "GR" which I assume is George Rex again on the barrel
- There are several X marks "X/|||", "X|||" and "X/XX" on the underside of the barrel
- The cross flag proof mark
- A broad arrow
- A trident? Not sure about this one...
- On the butt plate it is marked "US"

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.