I picked up a Japaneseicon Navy training rifle over the weekend and have a question on it. A lot of the metal has black paint slathered on it, somewhat heavy in spots. It's not on the barrel to any great extent but it is on the bayonet lug, receiver and butt plate. Doesn't make sense being on the bayonet lug simply because putting a bayonet on it would knock most of it off. I've looked at photos and can't really tell what is proper on these.

The rifle appears to me to be complete, including the dust cover which is also covered in black paint. It also has the nicest cartouche I've found in my searches, nice and deep and clear. Other than the black paint, doesn't seem to be a lot of finish on it, stock looks pretty good with branded stamps on both sides of the butt. Bore was a wreck but as it's a blanks only smoothbore, not a huge deal. I've got most of the crap out of it. I have not had time to take proper photos but will get around to that soon.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.