No crazy story with this new rifle, but I happened to go to a local gun show and saw this carbine sitting on the racks with several other Type 38 rifles. Looked mint, so I took a closer look. Numbers seemed to match and the stock looks like it has never been messed with. Price seemed OK at $440, especially with other Type 38 carbines at the show starting at $599 and in far worse condition. The guy selling it said he had owned it for as long as he can remember, but was just reducing his collection. He didn't want to lower it and said he was bringing it to the big Syracuse show next weekend anyway. I figured there are fewer and fewer of these rifles in this condition and I might as well buy them while I can.

This rifle has a ground mum and missing dust cover, but everything else seems correct. The front barrel band refuses to come loose, so I can't take it apart to see the assembly number or the trigger. However, the extractor and bolt release are all marked "912". Strangely enough the rear sight is marked "746" while the rifle's serial number ends in"476". Not sure if this is an error or indicative of a rework. Rifle seems to be in too nice of a shape not to have been reworked. I'm not sure if the cartouches on the stock are correct for the rifle itself, so if someone would like to chime in that would be great. Firing pin has no number and the whole bolt assembly is filled with grease on the inside.

Any other thoughts? Maybe I paid too much of a premium but the majority of Type 38 carbines I see seem to have rode hard and put away wet. Having the mum is nice, but I don't think it adds that much of a premium. It was funny but I saw 4 carbines at this show and one sporterized Type 44, which is the most I've seen at a show in NY in years.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.