This is an interesting rifle I have had for twenty years. It started life in 1898 at Enfield as a Lee Enfield Mk I (long lee) and was converted to a No. 1 Mk II Cond (Converted) in 1905. Presumably it was fitted with the No. 1 Mk I nose cap. In May 1913 it passed through the Navy Ordnance facility at Portsmouth and socket marked N. The stock is marked RMS 400 indicating possible Royal Marine use.

Past this point I don't know what happened, the nose cap was deleted and a US Kragicon type front band was fitted. The unmarked band is not Krag, does not have the machined boss for the screw and it does not accept a US Krag or Springfield bayonet. It will not accept the Britishicon 1907 blade family. Given a marine association, as they used Japaneseicon and Canadianicon Ross rifles, I tried those with no luck either. I considered a movie gun but what good would it be if it won't take a bayonet.

Band bottom to top of shoe is 0.119 inches. Thickness of shoe is 0.127 inches. Width of shoe is 0.424 inches. Centerline of barrel to bottom of shoe is 1.22 inches approx. Suggestions???

Attachment 76216Attachment 76217Attachment 76218Attachment 76219Attachment 76220Attachment 76214Attachment 76215Attachment 76213
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.