Although the book I bought recently has no bearing on Enfield's it does show some excellent pictures of WD Motorcycles being overhauled at No1 Workshop Group (REME) Chilwell.

What I was surprised at, was the scale of work being undertaken, there are benches marked with Makers names, Matchless, Norton, Ariel etc, with jigs set for the straightening of Girder forks.

Jigs to straighten frames, benches with half built motorcycles on and there are many........

The eye catching pic though is one that is a stores/ assembly line in dated 1942 and says probably North Africa!! Personally I doubt its North Africa but the Amount of Engines in the Foreground of the pic it does make you think.

So whats it got to do with Enfields you ask? well I'm guessing if you take away the bikes and add Enfields and other small arms you would get the idea of the scale of repairs etc.

As Peter will often mention, a rifle that came in for repair, was repaired with the parts at hand, regardless of manufacturer and went out a repaired rifle.

If anyone is interested the book is called "Britishicon Forces Motorcycles 1925-45 by Chris Orchard and Steve Madden.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.