NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-07-2024
    Local Time
    07:47 PM

K98k Stock Fit

My grandfather sporterized his K98 Pattern Mauser long ago (actually a G29/40... I messed up the thread title). I got a Yugoicon captured K98kicon stock for it last year to fix this but have been constantly battling fitment issues to where I am ready to just try another stock.

The problem is the gun rocks back and forth on the recoil lug. So when I shim up the rear tang, it takes nearly 1mm of shims for it to stop, leaving the rear of the receiver raised up quite far.

It's hard to tell but the little "tip" on the end of the bolt release is almost totally out of the stock. Can I shoot like this? Are there adjustments I can make to the stock or recoil lug to lower the front of the receiver in the stock? Getting proper fit at the front band is tough as well though I think I have enough room to where the end isn't touching the bayonet lug or the band, we'll see of POI shifts like crazy this time when it gets hot.

I'd like to get some sort of decent baseline on accuracy so I can figure out where the gun is at; in the sporter stock it shot okay at 50 but opened at 100. In this stock, in my various tries, it shoots good at 50 but strings badly as it heats up and is a lost cause at 100 yards, hot or cold. I suspect it needs to be counter bored as the rifling is really worn at the muzzle but it's obvious this stock isn't fitting well so I need to square that away first.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by cipherk98; 10-24-2016 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Model number clarification.