Real Name
    Mr Clark
    Local Date
    05-05-2024
    Local Time
    10:47 PM

Operation Market Garden Capture Nazi Hi-Power

Morning all,

This is a particularly interesting Market Garden Capture Nazi Hi Power, with a very interesting history. This piece passed through my hands a few years ago on its way to a private collection.

It came with provenance detailing the origin of the piece and how it happened to come into "Airborne" ownership.

I will omit names, as its not my place to repeat them, but below is a potted history as I recall it from the supporting documentation.

It was captured by a Private in 1 Para, who after parachuting in on the 17th September noticed a Germanicon welcoming committee running toward him.

He rapidly sorted himself out and opened up on them with his Mk5 Sten, by this point the lead German was almost on top of him, after dispatching him, his Sten apparently jammed, so he grabbed this Hi-Power from the dead German and proceeded to dispatch the remaining gentleman , who was also intent on giving him a very warm welcome to Holland.

He kept the pistol through the rest of that doomed operation and was fortunate enough to escape and was eventually evacuated by the Americans.

The four notches on the pistol grip are testimony to the close nature of the fighting at times, as it was called into action on three other occasions.

So to the pistol itself, it was kept after the war and became a "sock draw special" as so many such pistols did, eventually being surrendered to an RFD a few years back, who had it deactivated and it came onto the UKicon market.

I have never seen a Wa marked Hi-Power in as good condition, it was stunning, almost factory fresh in fact. Its a shame it was deactivated, but there we go, it was and nothing can be done about that now unfortunately..

It was a pleasure to own, for the very short time it was with me, it's a testimony to an extraordinarily brave group of men, who paid a very heavy price on that fateful Operation.

A generation that's sadly nearly gone now, but one we will always owe a dept of gratitude.

Enjoy the pics chaps..

Cheers, John.

Attachment 77161Attachment 77162Attachment 77163Attachment 77164Attachment 77165
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 11 Members Say Thank You to mrclark303 For This Useful Post: