Milsurps Talk Radio

Thread: Canadian Ross M10 Mk3 Sniper Rifle (Legit or Put Together?)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    09:29 AM
    My Videos in Video Club

Canadian Ross M10 Mk3 Sniper Rifle (Legit or Put Together?)

I recently received an email from an individual who wanted my opinion on a Canadianicon Ross M10 Mk3 Sniper Rifle he has in his possession. He gave me permission to republish his pics, which I've attached to this post.

I have also taken the liberty of consolidating a number of his emails with questions and comments into single quoted content below.

Here's an MKLicon entry for an all correct and authenticated 1915 M10-Ross MkIII* Sniper Rifle, with an associated 227 pic photo montage that may help in the research.

1915 M10 Ross MkIII* Sniper Rifle Serial #223

One glaring difference that I noticed immediately was the absence of the Scope Serial Number being stamped into the right side of the butt, which appears in the MKLicon authenticated example. (see pic below)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Any feedback would be appreciated ...

Regards,
    Doug

Recently purchased this Ross M10 MkIII with a Warner Swasey M1913 scope from the estate of a 96 year old dealer/collector in the US – his collection included countless rare and one-off firearms from the First and Second World Wars.

The bolt doesn’t match the stock, as is shown. There is a ‘No.5’ stamped on the scope and a ‘5’ stamped on the mount as well. The SN# on the stock is 1915 ‘300’ GG (I believe?).

I wanted to get your opinion – do you think this is legit? Also, do you have a source for either the bayonet lug/nosecap and/or the lower barrel band retaining bolt?

What makes me doubt it's authenticity:

-the screws on the base are rounded, instead of flat.
    -the base on your rifle has some curved portions going from the legs that contact the receiver to the rail on the base, where mine doesn't
    -the base on your rifle has a black strip in the channel where mine doesn't
    -the SN stamped on the scope looks kinda funky
    -the SN (300GG) is outside of the range of the first shipment. (though Clive says it's entirely possible it could be part of the second)
    -doesn't have scope #stamped on buttstock

The picture of just the stock shows the portion directly under the forward mount 'leg', where theres a small portion cut out to allow clearance, which was mentioned as being correct for sniper stocks.

Any idea what the 'BC5' on the front of the bolt handle? Have anything to do with the scope and mount number being 5? The repair in the stock may suggest refurbishment of some sort.

Those are my thoughts at least.

Thank you in advance
    Note: After you click on images to ENLARGE them, you may find they automatically size smaller in your browser's window making them harder to view. The auto sizing is your browser's way of keeping images entirely within the screen size you have set. Move your mouse pointer to the bottom centre of the pic and you will see an options panel appear. There will be a small square box next to the large X, which will have a pointer arrow sticking out of it. If it's illuminated, it means the pic you're viewing can be enlarged, so click on this box and the pic will EXPAND and open to its normal size.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Badger; 11-08-2016 at 09:05 AM.