Last On
    07-28-2020 @ 09:41 PM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    02:56 PM

Stokes Kirk and Sedgley Krags

Gents,

Here in Philly, near the site of the old Stokes Kirk and Sedgley Kragicon works one comes across old modified Krag rifles quite often. Some are definitely from these two firms, but some seem of a common pattern, but the origin remains a mystery. I am wondering is there a reference work that goes into these modified Krags in depth? I have a copy of the 1918 Stokes Kirk catalog and of course Brophy's 1980 Krag book, which is pretty much the only written references I know of that discuss these rifles in depth. Are there any others more updated references that deal specifically with the modified school Krags, cut down Krags and perhaps DCM variation carbines?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to Frederick303 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Yesterday @ 01:49 AM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    I believe the Stokes Kirk catalogs pretty much show that company's offerings. They seem to have stuck to improvised carbines using cut-down rifles and surplus parts. A lot of the Stokes Kirk guns will sport a 'banded front-sight' of their manufacture.

Sedgley is a bit trickier. Their company produced some high quality Kragicon and '03 Springfield sporting rifles with beautiful metal work and classic stocks.

Sedgley also turned out some BUDGET Krag 'Deer' rifles, using well worn, repaired & reworked surplus military parts.

I believe, Sedgley normally marked their work with an 'S' inside a Circle.

I have, what I call, a "Poor Boy" .30-40 Krag Sedgley hunting rifle. The barrel is a recycled .30-03 U.S. Springfield barrel made in 1905. The Krag receiver is stamped with a 'Circled S'. The cut-down rifle stock is thinned and much patched! A Marbles' #20S-KR receiver sight and Lyman banded front-sight were installed. It is UGLY, but, shoots & functions well.

Attachment 77841Attachment 77844
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 11-28-2016 at 12:42 AM.

4. Thank You to butlersrangers For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    More Stokes Kirk pages:

Attachment 77848Attachment 77847

Last On
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    'Poor Boy'
    Interesting way they rotated the barrel (and re cut the chamber I would think)...was that a rod bayonet '03 barrel repurposed? Rechambered to 30-40?

I read post 2 and see that's exactly what it is...

It would certainly be a sweet deer rifle too.
    Last edited by browningautorifle; 11-28-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    Regards, Jim

9. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    'BAR' - That 1905 ('03) barrel has a near mint bore. It could have been in .30-03, then .30-06, and then in .30-40. It accepts Factory Ammo, but, has the tightest chamber of any of my Krags. With shortening at the breech, the indexed barrel ended up "upside-down". It shoots well.

Last On
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    I have a Sedgely school short rifle based on a 1894 dated 1892 pattern Kragicon rifle. Very nicely done. It and my 1898 rifle that seems to be assembled with a mix of old and new parts is why I am interested in these rifles. There does not seem to be much written on them as far as classification of the types, when made, etc.

12. Thank You to Frederick303 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    Butlersranger

I have seen a Kragicon with that piece to cover the threaded barrels shown in the Rice ad. I had no idea that was a part that one could buy, I assumed the man who sported the rifle fabricated it.

I am kind of fond of Krags, though I have only 2. Neither has any family history, but as close as I could come to the arms described by family members. Unlike many of the other family heirloom arms both Krags that were owned in that era were lost, the other was sold sometime between 1950 and 1970 by my grandfather, it spent WWII wrapped in a oil cloth hidden underneath that family home along with a 1934 Winchester model 12, which I do have.

My personal interest is more in the short "school carbines" with 22 inch barrels based on the 1896 carbine. The Sedgley I have is very nicely carried out, but on a 1894 dated action, about 16,500 digits from where I want the serial number to be (37,xxx).

It all comes down to a Krag 1896 carbine/short rifle configuration that was mounted in a short stock that was in the family from 1944/45 on. It belonged to my grandfathers brother, or at least it was at his house when he died in 1944 and the household was broken up. It has stood in the corner of the study for years prior and my gun crazy uncle wanted it, it was the specific item he asked for. My mom was with her mother when they went up to break down the household and she made sure it was brought back down to PA (like a good Swissicon Mädchen would ). In any case in May of 1945 she got to fire that Krag for the first and last time at the tender age of 12. I suppose the experience of firing a 220 grain full metal patched load though the rather worn 22 inch bore was sufficient to dissuade my mother from every firing a high power rifle again, she left that to the men folk. My uncle when asked about it recalled it being an old 10 gauge at the farm, but I believe his memory is a wee bit faulty on that, as my mom could described the bolt action quite well and was sufficiently wise as to avoid any such brother trick.

Eventually it was converted into a fine sporter by Griffin and Howe of New York city by my uncle in the late 1950s, because the bore was rusted out. I have the serial number but not the gun, it belongs to a cousin (his son) who inherited it. A fine sporter it is and where it properly belongs, as he inherited the gun bug from his father.

Story is it was one of a set of carbines that were sold, in shortened rifle stocks, to a new York Guard organization and used by some sort of coastal artillery unit my fathers brother was in during 1918. I have a nifty picture of that man, alas without any rifle. He was supposed to have been able to buy it after service. SRS seemed to confined the story, as a bunch of carbines near the serial number owned by my cousin were in that range and shown as being sold to a state cavalry unit in 1909. An inquiry to the Albany state military museum verified the rifles were sold to the cavalry unit not in carbine stocks, but configured as short rifles (for what reason I know not).

However later research seemed to precede that possibility though the carbine in that purchase block in the Albany collection is supposed to be in a short rifle stock. My guess is it was one of the school type carbines, brought into service for state side artillery arm duty, though I will never really know unless I make the trip to Albany and try to track down how these carbines ended up in short rifle stocks.

In any case in keeping my eyes open for a 1896 carbines in a rifle stock near 37,500 serial number I have seen a lot of reworked Krag carbines of one type or another and find them to be very interesting arms, though everyone and their cousin wants to tell me they are constabulary arms. Seems like it would be an interesting research project for the right chap.
    Last edited by Frederick303; 11-28-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick303 View Post
    everyone and their cousin wants to tell me they are constabulary arms
    Nope, just school guns...
    Regards, Jim

Contributing Member Doco overboard's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Real Name
    Brian Stiles
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    Attachment 77887 #21115 this one I posted a while back and seemed curious enough to me that I thought I would share again. It is from the Philadelphia area and as far as I know was created in someones workshop. What is particularly interesting is that the fore-stock has been shortened enough to permit the installation of a bayonet correctly but the muzzle has not been turned down to accept such and a 03 sight band fitted vs the previously described apparatus or markings from aftermarket companies. I had seen another like it at a show and should have bought it. This one doesn't fit the majority or any of descriptions that I see written but doesn't seem to be a one off example. The barrel is not carbine length, there is a C that has been added to the sight ears and shoots to point of aim at 100yds with the 200 yd graduation with later sights. I thought about restoring it to a semi original configuration until I seen the other, to good to change though I'm gonna leave it alone and just enjoy it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast