Thanks Jim, worked like a charm however the one I got my hands on didn't have a dog for the pointer for moving front and back which would have made it a little easier. Whats really funny is my son who is an accomplished machinist but knows little of firearms outside cleaning them was looking at another M1icon barrelled action as a visual that was hand tight so I could explain what I was doing and the first thing he said was all we have to do is remove enough material from the stub to get it to clock and clamp the receiver in the mill vise to get it level and then as he turned everything around in is hands looking at it again he wanted to work off a milled flat at the bottom of the ring and then make a tool to turn the barrel! I explained it doesn't work like that and when he looked at everything again he said who the hell made this? And what kind of machine did they use to put this together? He just kept turning it around studying it amazed. I never asked what he was thinking about but I have an idea. Brian.