Hello all. I am a relatively new owner of a Bren MK3, 1956 vintage. She's in nice nick, with a good barrel and internally sound components. Today on the range it was cold, -10 C, and I was trying out some new ammo, (PPU 174gr), firing 5 round groups. On the second mag of the day - with the change lever in R - she fired an uncommanded burst of three rounds. I was somewhat startled, with the third round definitely ruining that group. I did an IA drill, and found the weapon would not fire subsequent rounds. The breech block would strip a round, but seemed to lack the power to fully chamber and allow the piston post to strike the primer. By way of background, I had inspected and prepped the weapon the night before and lubed all the sliding parts liberally with an automotive grease. At home the action felt silky smooth, but next day in the cold the action felt sluggish. Suspecting viscosity was the culprit, I stripped the Bren in situ and cleaned off the offending grease, lightly re-oiling with Balistol. The moving parts then seemed to move much more freely, and the rest of the day was uneventful, with the gun operating perfectly. Through all this I left the gas regulator at the smallest gas port position as it seemed adequate. I am still unsure however as to what caused her to fire that burst, and would value some advanced education here to prevent it happening again. Thanks, Mike.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.