Thread: ME-109 wreckage & pilot remaind discovered while metal detecting.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    12:23 PM
    If you travel to Viet Nam, go to the battlefield of Dien Bien Phu.

NASTY battle (or series of battles, really). Are there any "nice" battles, anyway?

The Viets maintain war graves in the region. A rather extensive one for Giap's fallen troops is a bit stark and marked by an imposing entrance The graves are generally unmarked, and, in many cases, may have no known occupant, but there is a wall containing a LOT of names at the entrance.

The "foreign" memorials are neatly maintained by both the locals and visiting Legion veterans and or their next of kin / families. There is a Legion memorial in the center of the fortified camp of Dien Bien Phu, a hundred metres or so from the remains of General De Castries old command post. The memorial was built in 1998 on the initiative of Germanyicon legionnaire Sergeant named Rolf Rodel.

In the South, for many years after "reuinification", the cemeteries containing the remains of, or memorials to, ARVN and other "southern" forces, were studiously "neglected", but not desecrated.

Last time I was there, it seemed that things have mellowed a bit, and, whilst still "subdued" in nature, they are at least being tended by someone.

2. Thank You to Bruce_in_Oz For This Useful Post: