Thread: Counterboring / repair of barrel crowns in australian cadet service??

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    07-22-2019 @ 11:10 PM
    Local Date
    04-29-2024
    Local Time
    11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Laidlericon View Post
    I'm not sure what sort of skills/authority a 'Cadet Force armourer' would have had to do something that us REME/RAEME Armourers wouldn't be able to do - or be equipped to do. We did have a few local school cadet stuff under our wing in Oz, as we do here. I suspect that it's been nicely done in civvy life afterwards. Maybe a bit of cordwear to clean up.....

The thing about '37 patt webbing I really, truly don't understand, especially as someone brought up as an apprentice for 3 years with the stuff and all that that entails, is that people collect it! As I seem to remember the stuff we had, the web belt part was the only thing that was standard throughout the range. There were low pouches, higher pouches, long bayonet frogs, high frogs, frogs with loops, crossstraps with brass buckles or steel buckles. As for those anklets........ Anyway, just talking about it has put me in a bad mood.
    i dont think they had that kind of connection here that you guys had in the uk peter. They basically cut all ties with any cadet movement and gave them nothing other than a name for the best part of a decade, unless you were a cadet unit on a base you could scrounge up the right people to do the work for you. If you were a unit not on a base you made it up as you went along, especially of it was in regional oz. That worked until the 80, 90s when they took firearms out of stores altogether and when they did get something back, they were bog standard brno model 2's for target shooting
    Last edited by BushyFromOz; 03-11-2017 at 05:29 PM.