Attachment 83047Attachment 83048Attachment 83050Attachment 83052Attachment 83049Attachment 83051Attachment 83045Attachment 83046

This helmet came from the collection of a friend who recently passed away. I think it may have been a WW2 issue that was refurbished for the Korean conflict. I know a bit about M1icon Helmets, but would like to know more, so any help much appreciated.

The steel shell is a rear seam M1, so manufactured after Nov '44. The heat stamp inside the front rim reads 1284A (there is no 'S') which means it was made by McCord. Is it possible to tell the date of manufacture from the heat stamp?

I've read in one of Harlan's old posts that you can tell a WW2 helmet (as opposed to a Korean War vintage helmet) by its more rounded dome, so this may be a WW2 shell, but I find it hard to be sure.

It has been repainted and the Red '1' was added by my deceased friend.

The liner is a WW2 Westinghouse, looks fairly untouched and original to me. The leather strap looks original, headband and nape band are all later OD#7 and I'm guessing they might have been added for Korea?

If it was used in Korea, I'd like to keep it that way, rather than try restore it to WW2 spec. I think the Red 1 will have to go, so a repaint is probable. Any tips on the correct colour?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.