Picked this up at the Syracuse NY show today for $275 out the door. I've wanted a rope hole stocked rifle for awhile now and was getting ready to bid on one in an auction and just happened to stumble upon this example today. Saves me the trouble of shipping one to me, ha! Biggest issue is that the stock has been refinished and lightly sanded. I usually stay away from mismatched/sanded rifles, but I liked the overall look of this one and the price was fair given the hard to find nature of this variant. Most I have ever seen locally are the same condition but 3 times the price. The seller didn't know this one was special I think, as the tag didn't mention anything about the rope hole, but made note of the "full mum". Funny how if any of that mum is left it's considered full. In any case, I'm happy to see one that was accurately priced given the condition.

Pretty late in the series from what I have read, but it still has dust cover grooves. The mum has been ground too, but very lightly. It can still be seen pretty well through the grinding. It also has the barrel band variation that is missing a sling swivel. Glad to add this one to the collection for a good price!

There were some decent Arisakas at the show. I saw a 5th series Nagoya Type 38 carbine, matching to the dust cover, but a ground mum, for $750. I also saw a Jinsen Type 38 in nice condition with a mismatched bolt and ground mum, but the price was $775. Various other Type 38's around, but nothing that stood out. I saw a second 27th series Type 99, but it didn't have anything that really stood out about it.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.