Today @ 11:55 AM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Local Date
    05-04-2024
    Local Time
    09:12 AM

New info for the forum!

A well respected gun writer here has just brought in some new measurements for the H/S limits for the 303 cartridge.
    He has done allot for the sport of shooting and is quite knowledgeable but I find the information he has given on the matter a bit well out there.
    He is talking about reloading for the 303 and the article is quite good right up until you get to this bit;

He explains how the Lee headspaces which is fine but then goes on to say;
    .064" Minimum (Fine), .074" Normal Maximum (Not sure here as this should be No GO right there) then this one .098" (No Go Gauge) Wartime Maximum?

I thought there was an EYO of .078 like you were being overun and these were the only rifles left in the rack of wherever but .098 may be a bit much I stand to be corrected on my understanding of this.

Personnally I would rather go on what advice I get here and may drop this person a line that although well intentioned his reasoning may be I think the correct figures need to be stated otherwise someone will say yep at a .074 H/S I can shoot the ol' 303 with not too much concern as they did as it is the normal maximum.

Any advice on this one gents so I can get the correct information to the person concerned.............what would you do!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by CINDERS; 05-01-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Advisory Panel Patrick Chadwick's Avatar
    Last On
    06-25-2023 @ 06:36 AM
    Local Date
    05-04-2024
    Local Time
    03:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CINDERS View Post
    ... the article is quite good right up until you get to this bit;

.064" Minimum (Fine), .074" Normal Maximum (Not sure here as this should be No GO right there) then this one .098" (No Go Gauge) Wartime Maximum?

I thought there was an EYO of .078 like you were being overun and these were the only rifles left in the rack of wherever but .098 may be a bit much I stand to be corrected on my understanding of this.

Personnally I would rather go on what advice I get here and may drop this person a line that although well intentioned his reasoning may be I think the correct figures need to be stated otherwise someone will say yep at a .074 H/S I can shoot the ol' 303 with not too much concern as they did as it is the normal maximum.

Any advice on this one gents so I can get the correct information to the person concerned.............what would you do!
    Post this on the Lee-Enfield forum and see what a professional expert such as Peter Laidlericon says. Then send the author a link pointing to the answer.

3. Thank You to Patrick Chadwick For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    08:12 PM
    Just tell him to correct his typo because it is clearly a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by CINDERS View Post
    A well respected gun writer here has just brought in some new measurements for the H/S limits for the 303 cartridge.
    He has done allot for the sport of shooting and is quite knowledgeable but I find the information he has given on the matter a bit well out there.
    He is talking about reloading for the 303 and the article is quite good right up until you get to this bit;

6. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to ireload2 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    11-02-2022 @ 12:11 AM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    08:12 PM
    Yep typo and poor proof reading IMO

8. Thank You to P246 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Local Date
    05-04-2024
    Local Time
    09:12 AM
    See this one I re-posted it to another part of milsurps Thanks for the replies.
    https://www.milsurps.com/showthread....602#post399602

+ Reply to Thread