12-05-2022 @ 02:54 PM
    Real Name
    Donald
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    02:28 PM

SKS and accuracy

Took out one of our SKS rifles today. Have had this one for several years and a conservative amount of rounds it has shot would be 5,000. I think the round count thru this gun is higher as we have shot around 9,000 rounds total and our CZ858 hasn't fired 4,000 hopefully. All have been corrosive surplus and today's were Czechicon.

This is a 1951 rebuild, matched and of course it was FORCED matched like so many Russianicon rifles.

Today was to attempt to prove a point that for what it was designed to do it is more than adequate. I constantly see so many dis this rifle as inaccurate and literally a POS. I always disagree and have posted often that the one we shoot on a pretty regular basis is pretty decent considering its age and the crappy ammo.

This target was a new steel we purchased from Drummond at the Kamloops guns show a couple weeks ago and I thought to prove the SKS can do OK by using it for the test with the label still on it showing we didn't try this several times attempting to get the results we did.

The target was 198 yards from the muzzle and my son was the shooter. He was prone using a back pack as a rest and I was spotting for him. The results were very good IMO and he hit the target 9 out of 10 shots which is more than acceptable. There are 8 very obvious hits and if you look closely there is a graze on the top of the "right shoulder" and that is good enough for a hit for me.

The plate is AR500 steel and 12 X 20 inches so not really the full size of a man's chest.

I have told many people who complain they can't shoot the SKS with any degree of accuracy they really need to learn how to shoot. My old eyes took a try and hit it 3 out of 4 shots and the miss was my problem.

We also did a fair amount of shooting with a Norc 305 and Chicom surplus 7.62 X 51 and after somewhere around 35 rounds the 2 X 4 broke from all the energy it absorbed.

Seeing as we found a great spot in the mountains this reactive target will be a must for having a good day shooting with all sorts of firearms we use. Next trip out we will give it a go at 300 yards.

For the price, I think this one was around $200.00 and ammo under 20 cents a round it is a must own in my books.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Why use a 50 pound bomb when a 500 pound bomb will do?

2. Thank You to enfield303t For This Useful Post: