Just received the new to me FN49 in 7.92mm Mauser. This an Egyptian contract rifle and appears to be reasonably original with matching receiver, barrel , and bolt plus a used but pretty nice set of wood . I took it apart for inspection (firing pin, etc) & a much needed cleaning and when I started to re-assemble the action into the stock I wondered the following:
-Is the barrel supposed to be pressure bedded at the forend tip or free floating? The action appears to rotate around the front action screw where the bottom of the receiver contacts the stock and can be tipped either barrel up (free) or barrel down (forend contact). Which way it ends up may depend on which action screw is tightened up first or what the sequence is supposed to be.
-Does the action bed in the stock similar to an Enfield No3 or No4 where the receiver rails along the magazine well have to contact the stock? Its clear that theres contact required at the front action screw area and the reear tang area at the screw bushing
-Is the front handguard to be clear of the front sight base (like a No4 Enfield) and the gas adjustment collar?
Any help, references, or pointers to information are greatly appreciated!
GC
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.