Hybrid View

Last On
    04-27-2024 @ 03:54 PM
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    04:08 PM

1942 SAVAGE No4MK1 T....w/telescope

First of all I must thank browningautorifleicon...Jim. He will post pictures that I emailed to him to this thread....without him that would not be possible. Without pictures it almost seems meaningless. Thanks again Jim!!!

Over the Christmas holidays I acquired what I think is a rare No4 T sniper. I want to share pictures and dialogue with all the experts here as I know my knowledge is limited. It is one of the Savages that was completed by Holland&Holland. The gentleman I purchased it from lives in Sudbury Ont, Canadaicon. I actually made the trip to Sudbury where the rifle was purchased. The owner told me he acquired it in the 60's from Harvey's Surplus on #4 Lisgar St in Sudbury....the tag on the chest supports this. He mentioned it was the only Enfield sniper they had at the time...what he paid for it I do not know.
    Half of the fun in collecting is the chase and this one had me 6000km away from where I live. Thankfully my folks live within about a five hour drive so while visiting them during the holidays I was able to connect the dots.
    This rifle is in very good condition as well as the bore....it certainly shows war time service but not abuse. Just of interest.....see the 3 swastikas ethched into the stock...they do look period correct and I doubt the elderly gent put those on, his collection would not indicate him doing something like that.
    The rifle is all matching, scope/bracket match to rifle as well as the scope tin. I showed this to two very knowledgeable Enfield collectors and they said that everything appears legit. I was told that... probably the hardest thing to fake or re-create in this kit is the white stenciling on the outside of the scope tin....the OC3422!! That was the affirmation for the fellow that this indeed was a wartime H&H conversion and not something somebody cobbled together. The fact that I acquired it in Sudbury from the original owner when it went surplus certainly peeked my interest when the emails were flying back and forth.
    The for-end seems to be the original as it typically does not have the regular H&H numbering that follows the length of the stock. It does not have the TR on the wrist as well the S is non-existent on the mag cut-off. The T on the left receiver wall is certainly smaller than all the others I've seen but the fonts are the same. I did pull the buttstock off and yes it is the original numbered butt to the rifle. I did not see any inspectors stamps (D6E) at the end of the bolt raceway either, although that suncorite paint may be hiding something. The front fore-sight band is the MK1.
    Your thoughts and expertise are appreciated...and I hope you enjoy the pictures on behalf of Jim.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 7 Members Say Thank You to bros For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    04-27-2024 @ 05:16 AM
    Real Name
    Roger Payne
    Local Date
    05-01-2024
    Local Time
    12:08 AM
    Looking forward to the pictures bros. From your description it sounds pretty much as I'd expect for a legit 'early' rifle. You probably won't find a D6E because they generally aren't there, or if they are they may be in an unusual place, like on the Knox (I've owned several 1941 dated rifles like that - not recorded in any of the books, but seen with my own eyes).

Best.

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    07:08 PM
    Another great find. I read somewhere about the #4T accuracy that "they were very adept at putting round holes in square heads"

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by #1oilman View Post
    putting round holes in square heads
    Regards, Jim

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    So without further...we provide pics. Nice looking rifle, I should be so graced... Click on the box with arrow and you get the big picture for those of you that require detail.
    Regards, Jim

8. The Following 9 Members Say Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Real Name
    Ron
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    07:08 PM
    Very nice! Do you know if barrel is serialized? How many grooves does barrel have? Ron(Canadaicon)

Last On
    04-27-2024 @ 03:54 PM
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by rgg_7 View Post
    Very nice! Do you know if barrel is serialized? How many grooves does barrel have? Ron(Canadaicon)
    Thanks guys for all your input so far. I removed the rear handgaurd and yes barrel is serialized and matching. It also has the flamming bomb stamp among others. The handguard that I removed is also stamped "S" on the inside. The barrel is a 6 groove left hand twist.
    Any rough ideas as to how many Savages were completed w/scopes .....not the scope-less ones? In the meantime I'll try to answer my own question through a search.

Last On
    04-28-2024 @ 06:51 PM
    Real Name
    Mr Clark
    Local Date
    05-01-2024
    Local Time
    12:08 AM
    What a superb looking rifle, looks right in my limited knowledge. The three "kills" also look to be historic, its a sobering reminder of the deadly and absolutely necessary trade these Rifles undertook.

Last On
    04-28-2024 @ 12:33 PM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Local Date
    05-01-2024
    Local Time
    07:08 AM
    N92 on left front side scope bracket - Daglish & Son, Glasgow, very tidy rifle congrats.

Last On
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Real Name
    Brian Brown
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    Beautiful rifle!! Congratulations on a great find. Thank you for sharing the story as well as the pictures.

Brian B

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast