Quote Originally Posted by Stanforth View Post
My Savage No.4 Mk1* has 2 groove rifling and it worried me for a while as I only had a few rounds of MK7 to shoot and could not find any flat based ammo or bullets to reload. I need not have worried as it turned out that with PPU boat tail reloads it is my second most accurate rifle, after my Enfield Envoy, out to 600 yards. I believe it all to do with the condition of bore in particular close to the chamber where gasses can escape round the tail of the bullet (boat tail) and destabilise it.
good to know, thanks!!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Payneicon View Post
If you want to pm me I'll send you a 'nose cap' that you have missing. Can't bear to see a nice rifle improperly dressed like that. I'll enclose the two transverse pins that hold it correctly in position too. Can't guarantee a Savage made example but I'll see what I can do.
PM sent

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
What's been done to the rear sight? Looks like heat has been applied, has the rear sight been welded? That's a Mk 3 so shouldn't it have a pressed steel sight loop? Looks like something different. I thought Savage rifles were stocked in Beech or Birch? The butt looks from the small bit I can see to be different from the forend. I wonder if this one was restored? The loose upper handguard and front band would never pass FTR...never...finish on the sight protector doesn't match the rest either, and as pointed out is reversed. Still, at least you have one, some of us don't. Let us know how it shoots...
Rear sight is not welded. As for it not being restored I don't know the history of the rifle (don't know of the markings on the tip of the barrel are import markings or not, can't read it).

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jsne View Post
Hi
Picture 3
Yout frontsight protector is pointing the wrong way
Turn 180 degree and i think your problem is fixt

Jsne
Yep, solved the problem, thanks! Whoever assembled the rifle when being repaired must have been drunk (backwards front sight, missing extractor spring)