Hi guys....was contacted by a fellow today with a 1942 Savage No4 T "all matching, complete" kit for sale. The question I have is...... the old serial # number on the mount is "ground off", ( it now sports a new serial # which matches rifle serial #) looks like bubba took a disc grinder and held it perpendicular to the face of the mount to do the job, as the the indentation is elongated and radius-ed. I know old numbers are usually xxxxxx'ed out if mounts were re-issued.....is it possible this was done while in service? I think not but.........

Another red flag! Top of butt where scope serial # is stamped in 23915 (and by the way it's a AK&S 1945 scope) perpendicular to that, the serial # of rifle is stamped in the wood behind scope serial #. I have not seen that before........

I'm kinda thinking the rifle is possibly one of the scopeless Savage T's that someone completed in their basement or it's an entirely made up T. But I could be wrong as well.

Incorrect scope case..... but the one it comes with is a REL canvas case. Chest looks to be in nice shape.

Seller indicated no S51 on bottom off butt. The "TR" is on the butt socket but no T on left receiver wall where they are normally stamped.

I do have pictures but again computer skills are lacking.....sorry.

Thanks for your time and input.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.