Alright so my dad has this really old rifle with a clip and a couple loose bullets. The stock has been cut down in the front to just a few inches in front of the clip chamber, about right where the barrel narrows down, and the rear sight got swapped out. The gun is marked "TERNI" "17" "PG2315".
I just yesterday figured out it was a Carcano after randomly coming across the bullets online. The 6.5x52mm Carcano rounds have a pretty distinct test tube shaped bullet; Though he doesn't have a box for the bullets, so it's possible this could one of the rare few that the Greeks rechambered into the very similar looking 6.5x54mm Mannlicher rounds.

These are the best photos I have right now, my dad's phone sucks with pictures, but I should hopefully get some better ones within a few hours to a few days. I'll try to go look at it in person during the weekend. I haven't seen it in a few years.

Now as for the specifics, the barrel is around 27 inches, implying a Model 1941; dad is going to do the "cleaning rod down the barrel and mark it with tape" thing later for a more accurate measurement. It also has a bent bolt handle, implying a Model 1938, but it has the sling swivel mounted on the bottom, while the 1938 has it on the left of the stock, and there's enough stock left that we'd be able to tell if it had grip indents, which it doesn't (unlike the 1938). The front sight was possibly changed as well, as it seems to be right at the tip of the barrel, while every Carcano picture I've seen shows the sight a good inch back from the tip.
Then there's the markings. I know it's referring to Terni, Italyicon, as the place of manufacture, and the PG part is the serial number, but from what I've seen online, supposedly that 17 means it was made in 1917, which would mean a Model 1891, but the barrel is too short and the bolt handle is bent; and, strangely enough, it apparently does not have a 6.5 marking on it to designate the caliber.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.