I would appreciate some assistance in identifying an artillery shell casing. The shell in the images measures approximately 93-95mm inside the case mouth, there is some distortion to the mouth so it’s hard to get an exact original dimension. The shell casing has an OAL of 300mm. The case has little to no taper. It has no markings anywhere.

The case has a stepped, convex head and what appears to be a very small belt just forward of the case rim. Hard to describe the unusual case head, but it’s shown in the photos. The case has a primer pocket, but no flash hole. There is a crack in the primer pocket that does not go through to the inside of the case, which is odd, but may be due to a crack in the forming die which has been impressed into the primer pocket. It has obviously never been fired.

My guess is that this shell case was removed from the production line as a reject due to the primer pocket crack, hence no head stamp. I assume that it was made/designed for a screw-breech gun since the convex head would seem to be difficult to adapt to a sliding breech. It may be for a gun that was developed but never put into production. I’m hoping someone on this forum can help me identify the shell and its intended gun. Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.