Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    12:16 PM

1903A1 Action Wrench and Vise Jaw Special Drawings

I'm having a drawing set made of the RIA 1903A1 Action Wrench and Vise Jaw Special Drawings but I have been having problems finding a readable set. The ones in Brophy's book are just as bad and too small to read. Does anyone have a readable set or know what the dimensions are in the yellow clouds in this redline? I mean really know not 'guess' know, because I'm going to have the tools made from these drawings.

Attachment 93284
    Thanks!
    Bill
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

Last On
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    02:16 PM
    Bill,

Let me give it a look when I get to the office here in an hour or so. I’ll work you up a CAD file. Any particular format your machinist needs?
    I bet the obscured dimensions will fall into place simply through scaling.

This is all purely selfish of course. Now I’ll have a set of drawings too

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    Bill,

Couple thoughts so far.

The plates that take the hardwood inserts to hold the barrel indicate a groove of 1.469" wide to hold a 1.490" wide insert. They call it a "press fit" but, 1 - that ain't a press fit and, 2 - I don't see why it would need one. I'd just make that groove match your inserts (or vice versa).

Looks like you've covered a dimension with your yellow cloud on the hardwood insert. The big end looks to be .955" diameter and I THINK the small end says .825" but it's covered.
    Also, on that subject, it appears to me that they've drawn the two ends non-concentric. I can't imagine why they'd go that route but the center points are offset by .0625". Weird. Why not concentric?

Comments so far?
    Last edited by rcathey; 05-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.

5. Thank You to rcathey For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by rcathey View Post
    Looks like you've covered a dimension with your yellow cloud on the hardwood insert. The big end looks to be .955" diameter and I THINK the small end says .825" but it's covered.
    That picture was one I was trying to work-up with a friend but we were lost on a few of the dimensions. I got the original drawings from another fantastic user on here in the group. I don't know if he's ok with me using his name so I won't publish it. Anyhow, here are the JPG. without the edits, we put in. Might clear things up.

Attachment 93296Attachment 93297
    Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

Last On
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    Looks like I guessed wrong on that dimension for the wooden insert.
    And now I see what it's saying. It's saying that the centerpoint for BOTH circle is 1/16" above the surface of the wood. That makes much more sense. I've attached an updated drawing.

I still don't get the interference fit between the wooden insert and the clamping plates. A 1.490" wide block isn't gonna fit into a 1.469" wide groove!

And again, I can save these in any format you need. Just let me know and shoot me your email address. I'll send them over.

Attachment 93315

Last On
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    I still don't get the interference fit between the wooden insert and the clamping plates. A 1.490" wide block isn't gonna fit into a 1.469" wide groove!
    Home from work and time to read your post. I looked at the drawings in Brophey's book and it has the same measurements. says press fit but, that's one heck of a press fit. Even with the - .010 it's still a .011" difference. Guess I'll find out when I get it made and use it.

Thanks, for the help!

Last On
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    It's good to have connections!
    The water jet shop I use through work hooked me up. He did a great job. Appears to be very little draft from one side to the next (as would be typical of sloppy or hastily done water jetting).

I had him make it from whatever stock he had on hand so it's aluminum. I think it'll work fine though. If my "Auction Gambling" 1903 ever comes in, we'll find out.

Attachment 93472
    Attachment 93473
    Attachment 93474

Last On
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    So I went for it based on my best engineering guesses.

I see no reason for the wooden inserts to fit so tightly into the metal clamp plates so I made them the same width.

I also don't see why the ends of the wooden insert wouldn't be concentric so I made them concentric.

I did mostly guess on the small end diameter of the wooden insert but it looks to scale so I think that's it.

I left the handle off of the action wrench because it would just crowd the drawing.

I inferred nothing else and believe everything else to be true to the dimensions listed.
    I dimensioned my drawings in the manner they did even though the style is a bit outdated (imagine). Hopefully this will allow you to quickly and easily compare.

Let me know if you'd like any changes and what format I should send these files to you.

And thanks for sharing!!

Attachment 93292
    Attachment 93293
    Attachment 93294

Last On
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    Hopefully this will allow you to quickly and easily compare.

Let me know if you'd like any changes and what format I should send these files to you.

And thanks for sharing!!
    Wow! that looks great! I hadn't taken it to the machinest yet, because I didn't have a clear set of drawings. I'll PM you. Unexpected surprize, thank you!

Last On
    03-29-2021 @ 03:01 PM
    Local Date
    05-09-2024
    Local Time
    03:16 PM
    If it's going to cost more than $125 to have one made, you'd be better off buying one from Brownell's. And Al is too soft.
    Spelling and Grammar count!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast