Deceased May 2nd, 2020 Cosine26's Avatar
    Last On
    05-18-2020 @ 07:29 PM
    Local Date
    05-07-2024
    Local Time
    05:33 PM
    For Cinders
    I remember one incident with the RAAF. We were flying a rare daylight formation of 61 B-26’s attacking Kumwa, where the CHICOMS had broken through the II Corps line in June of 1953. On 15 June 1953 I was in the left aircraft in the lead element of the second group and we were under heavy FLAK (being the second group) headed west to east. I saw some Meteors of the 77 Squadron approaching from south to north when one was hit by FLAK; there was a blinding flash, a big explosion and a huge column of black smoke. I learned later that it was flown by FltSgt David Pinkstone of 77 Squadron out of K14. I learned later that he survived and was exchanged on operation Big Switch. I do not know how he survived.
    My narrative as reported to Intel debrief:

85mm's were active and numerous.

"Yeah, and that’s where we are heading," said Wallie. "Looks like someone is flying Flak Suppression though." As we looked out of the front of the cockpit, we could see fighter-bombers diving at ground targets.

“Looks, like Meteors. Must be the RAAF."

Just then, one of the FBs passing in front of the formation took a hit and flame started coming from the A/C. The aircraft continued on to our left then exploded in a burst of orange flame and Black smoke.

"I'm hit - My God I'm on fire - I'm going in- I'm going to die." came the cries from the stricken pilot in a heavy Australianicon accent in a rising crescendo.

"Oh for Christ's sakes- die like a bloody fxxxing man!" came the reply from one of his unsympathetic fellow pilots.

Well, I don't know whether he died like a man- but die he did as the Meteor plunged into the ground and exploded in a large orange flame, accompanied by a huge cloud of black smoke so typical of a fuel based explosion. (I subsequently discovered that the pilot was FltSgt David Pinkstone, RAAF that he survived the crash, and was repatriated during Big Switch)
    Last edited by Cosine26; 05-29-2018 at 01:29 PM.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to Cosine26 For This Useful Post: