A couple of things. Patrick is correct in that a Scotch Deer Stalker would be a drink, however that is how they were marketed--I have seen the original catalogues with that listed.

Second, I have heard some accounts which are not substantiated of Mk II** being used at the front. Given that they had even tighter chambers than the Mk III I suspect they would have been a pain in the *** with crappy British ammunition. I have a few Ross myself (II** and 5*) that have CEF stamps, suggesting that some at least of the first contingent went to Englandicon with the troops, but apparently all were issued with Mk III before going to Franceicon. However, could some of those earlier Mk II rifles gone to the trenches? Maybe, but not officially, that is for sure.

The early Mk II** target rifles had a two piece topwood with a barrel mounted sight in addition to a bridge with the target aperture rearsight of some sort. The later ones had a one piece topwood with no provision for a barrel mounted sight. Is that what you are referring to? You have a bridge with a BSA Martin sight and a front sight. I assume the front sight has a hood on it. Further to tiriaq's question, this rifle has a commercial serial number on the left hand side just in the front of the receiver, above the stock? If so , it is a commercial target. The military issue ones had the usual military type serial on the right hand side of the stock and no serial on the metal.

Personally, I would NOT drill and tap it if it is original aside from having the stock shortened. That can be changed, or if you find one with a good stock and bad metal a good complete rifle can be made. Once this is drilled and tapped, it is screwed forever.

Ed