Hello everyone, my first post. I just recently got a Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903 (serial # 218xxx) that I was told many years ago by my grandmother that it belonged to my great uncle, who fought during WWI. The SN dates to early 1913 manufacture. The barrel date is RIA 9-12 with the bomb. The underside of the barrel is K-5 over P. The bore is pretty good considering the age. on the top of the bolt arm looks like an "R" inside a circle. On the underside of the bolt arm/handle is an "R". I think the stock is an "S" type,but no marks of any kind on the outside, and the only marks present on the inside look like two triangles. I also noted a pencil mark inside that looks like a small case cursive "w". I tried to post pics, but haven't mastered that yet, but any info would be appreciated. I also know about the low number serial number. The rifle seems to be in great condition, but I probably won't shoot it. I'm almost 70 , and am a lifelong hunter and gun owner. This is my first military rifle, and I love it. I do have a Colt 1911 45 cal. made in 1917 and carried by my uncle in WWII. I know it's difficult to tell very much without pics. I will continue to try. Maybe my grandson can help when he gets home from school.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.