G'day there, this again kind of comes back to me having so many SMLE fore-ends with cracks across the back and me not quite knowing what to do.

After examining Capt Laidlers writings on the subject he mentioned that in order to keep SMLE's still in the game they removed the rear screw wire and replaced it with a cross screw like in the No4 MKII's. Which is great but I have no godly idea how to get this wire out without demolishing the fore-end. Capt Laidlericon states that they 'drifted' out the old wire, but I've tried tapping it with a punch to no avail, I'm wondering if he meant something else or if there is more to it than that.

I figured if I can get the old wire out I can open up the crack, glue it, and replace the wire either with the one I took out or with some wire I have in a slightly larger diameter, or with a dowel, or with the cross-screw as detailed. I found the details on here about how to make the MKII cross-screw all except for what kind of nut it has (Someone said a hex nut I believe?). I have never had the chance to examine a MKII up close and see this outfit for myself.

Either way any help is appreciated. Cheers.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.