I picked up this Rolling Block en-route on a hunting trip over the previous weekend. It's not in the best condition, but I was intrigued as it has a very large bore size as compared to what I was familiar with Rolling Blocks being chambered in.

I have had a difficult time identifying what model this is or when it was made. Particularly, I noticed that the rear sight dovetail (this example is missing the rear sight) is located much closer to the receiver than other examples that I have been able to compare. The tang is heavily worn, but I can make out some markings. The top line appears to end in "U.S.iconA." and the bottom line ends with "April 17th 1866", maybe a patent date?

The groove diameter of the barrel is measuring about .594" (60 caliber?) however I used a chunk of beeswax to arrive at this measurement as I did not have a large enough piece of lead to properly slug the barrel. It has a very slow twist rate which to the best of my measurement is about 1 turn in 72 inches. The barrel measures exactly 39" from muzzle to the back of the receiver. The breech block has a centerfire pin.

What I do believe is that there is something odd going on with the breech end of the barrel. It does not mate with the breech block when closed and does not appear to have an extractor cut out, and almost looks as if some metal has been peened into the chamber area.

I really don't have any experience with Rolling Blocks so any help provided will be appreciated.

Attachment 96731
Attachment 96732
Attachment 96733
Attachment 96734
Attachment 96735
Attachment 96736
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.