Hey All,
I have a Revolutionary War era musket I am looking for some help in identification. I have done some of my own research, but the stock mostly has me confused.

Starting with the lock, it has a US-surcharged lock from a Charleville Model 1766 musket. The barrel, bands, trigger guard, and ramrod all appear to be from the same musket.

The stock appears to be a Federalist era stock, and looks like a Charleville stock in many ways; but, the contour of the comb is more shallow and narrow than others I've held. The sides of the stock (especially where the lock is inset) seem to be shaped differently, and the wood around the lock is more generous than I have seen on most Frenchicon muskets. That said, the fit is quite good, and the trigger guard has been with the stock a long, long time.

All told, I believe the musket started life as a Charleville 1766, provided by the French to one of the States, probably between 1777 and 1780, with the US surcharge applied thereabouts. Then, sometime after the war, it looks like the stock was replaced. I cannot tell if the stock might be one of those used for the Springfield 1795 (patterned from the Charleville 1766) or not.

What do you think?

Photos:
Photos - Google Drive
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.