Just acquired a very nice interesting matching Winchester P14. The rifle came from a fellow who's father was in the Canadianicon Navy during WW2 and stationed in Bermuda, they were hunting Germanicon U boats. He told me it was his fathers rifle in the war....I'm not sure if that adds up as this rifle bears no C broad arrow marks, anyhow it doesn't really matter.
Rifle has a rear sight made by Parker Hale I believe it is the 5B. On the elevation scale it is marked "MARK VII" obviously calibrated for the Service mark VII ball ammunition and also marked "PATT 14". The rifle has a very nice relatively rare replacement stock made by H.Morris Co. of Glasglow. It is stamped on the right side of the butt "No3 MKII" the only other stamp is underneath very near the front of the fore-end and it is stamped "N49". These replacement stocks made by H. Morris had no provision for the front volley sight so non-existent.
Upon examining the rifle after it was shipped to me I noticed that the crown of the muzzle is stamped "AGP BALL-BURNISHED"......interesting that the barrel went thru that process as well. I checked the barrel date under the rear hand guard and it is dated '17.
My question is would this ball burnishing process have been completed while this rifle was in service, did other rifles get ball burnished while in service? If so what's the story behind that? Was AGP primarily a contractor for the government or would it do work for the private individual as well?
I can't wait to range test this rifle.....the bore looks minty after a good scrub!!
Thanks for your input.
Regards.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.