Contributing Member
    Last On
    04-12-2024 @ 05:14 PM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    06:53 PM

Bunker spotting again, Emden, Germany

For some unknown reason our annual ship refit was in a new location this year, Emden Germanyicon.

I'd done a bit of research on the place before I got there and it is littered with bunkers, Most in the town were air aid shelters.

When you look at the last few pics this has been converted into some form of flats or offices etc, you only have to look at the thickness of the walls to realise why there still there, the first pic is a view from the front of the hotel we were staying, I found it a bit strange at first until you get closer, I don't know if the silhouette of a house is a post war thing to blend in or its what was there originally to disguise the building and has been re painted etc.

It was heavily bombed in WW2 allegedly in retaliation to the bombing of coventry. The reason for the big bunkers in the main town, I was running along the perimeter of the Shipyard and was greeted by a few that would of been manned by either the Army or Navy, some now used as power sub stations and the big one a comms unit.

There is also one that is a Museum, unfortunately it was shut whilst I was there.

One thing that did stand out in the local Aldi was a plastic bottle recycling machine, obviously my pigeon German wasn't up for the task of asking how to use it but I watched a few and soon got the gist, the machine scans the barcode (there is a special recycle logo on the bottle) and you get a receipt with a total that can be used against the price of your shopping, my empty plastic beer bottles were worth .20 eruo each.........

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 8 Members Say Thank You to bigduke6 For This Useful Post: