Just purchased a deactivated MK II Bren. The butt appears to have suffered the damage Mr Laidlericon described in an earlier post about the Mk II Butt - it has a long crack along the top of the butt, and the screws are very loose - one had separated completely and I was lucky to find it among the packing material before I knew it had "gone missing". In any case I think I need to replace the butt. My problem is that I can't seem to find detailed pictures of how the butt is attached. From what I have found here and on other sites and from Skennertonicon's book I THINK the butt is attached by the "return spring tube" - somewhat like the way the butt of an SMLE is attached? I like the Doctors old adige : "First Do No Harm" so I'd like to understand as much as possible about the mechanism before I take this to a gunsmith to do the work (one thing I do know is that I'm pretty "ham-fisted"!) HOW difficult is it to unscrew (?) that tube? AND HOW do you undo it? WHAT tool do you use? We're going to be setting up a D-Day Anniversary display and I've tried to acquire the various accouterments to go with the Bren: extra barrel bag, cleaning items, oil cans tool wallet, etc. I realize I don't know HOW items like the gas key and defouling tool are USED - in case someone asks me - any help would be greatly appreciated!
The weapon is a 1943 Inglis with an 8Txxx serial, but I think it's somewhat of a "mix-master" as the barrel appears to have a Monotype Serial #. There is also another four digit number stamped on the barrel "1225" and also another number: "8122" and "CRD". Again any help is deeply appreciated - Thanks!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.