Hybrid View

Last On
    03-08-2024 @ 08:57 AM
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    07:24 PM

A mint unfired 42 Maltby, Trying to value it

Unfired except for proofing. Just trying to just set a sale price for it. I can't find another one like it for price comparison.
    I've had this rifle for many years but as I've hit my 80th birthday, it's time to move it on as I am selling off most of my collection. Problem is, it may be the only one, or at least one of a very few like it, that are still around in the condition it's in, being still mint and un fired, except for proofing, and it still has it's originally made disposable parts. Because of this I'm not sure what price to put on it and I'm just asking for a "general" ball park value from knowledgeable folks here so I can advertise it for sale. I know what used Maltby's generally sell for, but this one is like a museum piece and I can't find another one in the same condition for price comparison. Here are the photos and description, I would appreciate any value suggestions.
    I know it's not worth big bucks but it is unique and should be worth more then just an average Enfield. Thanks. Ray

This is my inventory listing have I have of it.

1942 dated unfired except for proofing, Maltby #16968 rifle with traces of cosmolineicon in it . The rifle has no US import stamps and no British added export stamps, (tons, Englandicon, etc). Besides it's mint condition, it is probably one of a very few, and even could be the only one still in existence that remains in the condition it is as it just it came off the assembly line in 1942 with the exception of the stock letters. In addition to it's rare condition, it was one that was made with the very early war expedient parts having the solid bolt handle, no grove striker knob, no half cock striker, altered safety, noticable by the open area behind the safety lever. As production caught up, these parts were removed and/or replaced. The stock has large FNR letters stamped on it. Unknown what those FNR letters stamps represent. The stock has large FNR letters stamped on it. Unknown what those FNR letters stamps represent. One suggestion it stands for Felixstowe Naval Reserve. Felixstowe is a port town on the East coast of England in the county of Suffolk. Or an arsenal inventory file. These are just guesses though. This is a fairly rare and colletable Enfield Rifleicon as it just may be the only one like it around still in mint/unfired except for proofing condition and with the expedient parts.
    Attachment 101239Attachment 101240Attachment 101241Attachment 101242Attachment 101243Attachment 101244Attachment 101245
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Badger; 10-16-2019 at 06:13 AM.

2. Thank You to rayg For This Useful Post:

Last On
    04-12-2024 @ 03:42 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    02:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    I know it's not worth big bucks

It would be several thousand pounds here in the UKicon, considering I've seen the odd unfired '55 dated Mk2 selling for £1500+ in the UK.

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks much but I need a US price, Ray

Last On
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

It would be several thousand pounds here in the UKicon, considering I've seen the odd unfired '55 dated Mk2 selling for £1500+ in the UK.
    I don't think it would to be honest. The website 'By Sword by Musket' has a Savage Lend Lease, mint unused condition for £965

The Irish Contract No.4 Mk2's go for £1000. Those sat on dealers racks for £1500 don't sell.

I would say max value of this rifle is £1k in the UK. Why would anyone spend several thousand pounds on it, when they could get a No.4 T (Less Telescope) Rifle for less, or a No.4T for £3500 upwards/

Last On
    04-12-2024 @ 03:42 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy W View Post
    I would say max value of this rifle is £1k in the UKicon. Why would anyone spend several thousand pounds on it, when they could get a No.4 T (Less Telescope) Rifle for less, or a No.4T for £3500 upwards/
    If a reputed proof fired only Savage (the least sought after in UK by a collector) is £1k then a similar condition Maltby (quite high sought after by collectors) has to min £1.5k, surely?
    (I do agree with the other poster that the unknown FNR stamped stock could be a turn off to a serious collector)

And the few mint 'less telescope' 4T's I've seen have been way over £2k........and a collector won't be going anywhere near a £3.5k 4T, which at that price range that I've looked at are all mongrels or faked.

Last On
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    08:24 PM
    If a reputed proof fired only Savage (the least sought after in UKicon by a collector) is £1k then a similar condition Maltby (quite high sought after by collectors) has to min £1.5k, surely?
    Perhaps, but still less than the 'several thousands of pounds' the first suggestion was

Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    09:24 PM
    My Videos in Video Club

Exclamation

Ok, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm exhausted ...

I know now how it feels to watch a dog chase its tail ...

Lots of great participation and diverging viewpoints, but some folks still need to read about our Forum Etiquetteicon policy they agreed to under our Terms of Service Agreement" they electronically signed when they joined.

Regards,
    Doug

10. Thank You to Badger For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Real Name
    Alan De Enfield
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    If a reputed proof fired only Savage (the least sought after in UKicon by a collector) is £1k then a similar condition Maltby (quite high sought after by collectors) has to min £1.5k, surely?
    (I do agree with the other poster that the unknown FNR stamped stock could be a turn off to a serious collector)

And the few mint 'less telescope' 4T's I've seen have been way over £2k........and a collector won't be going anywhere near a £3.5k 4T, which at that price range that I've looked at are all mongrels or faked.
    When you can pick up (in the UK) an Enforcer ('rarer' than 4T's with production under 700 pieces) for between £1000 - £1500* I would value this Maltby at something under £1000

Maybe you are looking at the 'London Premium', they are less when you get out in the 'sticks'.
    I purchased 2x No4s from a local 'rural gunshop' for £100 for the pair. They were sat in amongst the shotguns and .243 'stalking rifles'.

* In the last few years I have bought Enforcers (complete) at £800 & £1000
    Mine are not the best, but they are not too bad. I can think of lots of Enfields I'd rather have but instead of constantly striving for more, sometimes it's good to be satisfied with what one has...

Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    09:24 PM
    My Videos in Video Club
    Nice piece Ray.

Do you have any pics showing the front sight type and configuration?

Thanks

Regards
    Doug

Last On
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    It's the later front sight protector not the waisted one, Here's the photo, Ray
    Attachment 101258Attachment 101259

14. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to rayg For This Useful Post:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast