Hi all, 'tubes here with my crown jewel that I'm hoping for y'all's opinion on: I have a winchester p-14 and bayonet that I came by as a pair some time ago, and its one of the only WW1 era firearms i've ever had that looks to be in its original state. I've thoroughly taken it apart and found Winchester marks on everything except the volley-sight plate and rear sight which are eddystone marked, and the stock, which has what may be a W on the front but scratches make it hard to make out. The handguard is obviously marked W and the wear pattern and patina are identical to the stock so they appear to be a matching set. The barrel and receiver match and the bore sparkles. It has a stock plug where I assume it once had a unit disk, is that necessarily evidence that it was issued for combat. This old girl has the most wonderful patina and i swear there are 4 small indentations in the right finger groove that feel like finger wear marks.

The bayonet may be the original issued but the person who sold it to me didn't know. Its a winchester mfg. pattern 13 bayonet marked "4-16" on the blade and the hilt has a unit marking: "308 2.6 A.S.H." and has a correct scabbard. It seems to me unlikely that these two met post-war but I guess its always possible.

I know that the Britishicon preferred winchester P-14's for actual combat but that their use was relatively rare. Anyone got any knowledge that could help shed light on this rifle's story?

Winchester P-14 - Album on Imgur
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.