Last On
    07-14-2020 @ 09:04 AM
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    11:52 AM

Questions about Lithgow No.1 MK.III* (* cancelled) rifles dated 1918

Hi All,

My newest purchase is a Lithgow No.1 MK.III* (* cancelled) dated 1918 S/N A892*. It does not have any MD or FTR markings, only a sold out of service on the top of the receiver.

The rifle is in substantially original condition being fitted with Queensland maple furniture (No marking disk provision on the butt), with all matching numbers and the barrel is original (1918 dated).

However, it has had a long service life (loss of bluing - and a WW2 olive paint job) and a few parts have been replaced, primarily the trigger guard, rear sight wings and lower band. These are WW2 era replacements.

I have very little experience with Lithgow star cancelled rifles and I would like to ask the forum for some assistance.

Were Lithgow MkIII* (*cancelled) rifles manufactured as MkIII rifles with the cut off provision (milled and cut) and the cut off fitted and merely stamped with the newer MkIII* butt socket stamp, as Lithgow were tooling up for MkIII* production?

Or, were they made without the cut off provision as MkIII* rifles and modified after the war in the factory back to MkIII configuration and then had the * cancelled?

I would like to bring the rifle back as close as I can to its 1918 condition and I will need to replace the trigger guard and rear sight wings (I already have a star marked lower band). Would this rifle have had a trigger guard with swivel lugs and milled rear sight wings?

Skinnerton gives approximate dates of parts changes in his Australianicon SMLE Variations, but what do the members of the forum think?

Have you got an original configuration Lithgow No.1 MK.III* (* cancelled) dated 1918? What trigger guard and rear sight wings does your rifle have?

The nose cap of my rifle is fitted for a piling swivel

I'd really appreciate any comments and observations that forum's members may have.

Attachment 102027
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by LNM; 08-02-2019 at 09:07 PM.