+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! Civil war collectible or later civilian copy?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    04-25-2024 @ 03:40 PM
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    07:16 AM

HELP! Civil war collectible or later civilian copy?

In amongst some helmets and such that I picked up at an estate sale, there is an old (and I mean OLD) canteen. Any collector of vintage anything knows, or knows of, somebody who sold something valuable for peanuts because they didn't do proper research. I'm not saying this canteen is U.S. civil war, but from pics I've seen, the possibility exists as it looks like period pieces from that era. The canvas and stitching are very old, but the strap and perhaps the chain used to hold the stopper may be later additions. Any real civil war buffs able to either give me a definitive yes or no or point me at someone who can. Thank you all!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    04:16 AM
    I don't think those buckles are military at all. They look chromed too...
    Regards, Jim

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
    I don't think those buckles are military at all. They look chromed too...
    Jim, read my post. For sure the strap isn't civil war period and the buckle proves that. To reiterate, the chain MAY be though pictures of civil war canteens like this one didn't show some kind of stopper retention system. To clarify, I need someone knowledgeable who can either tell me more about the canteen or point me towards a person or site where I can get solid information.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 05:40 PM
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    Canadaicon fielded somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000 soldiers during the American civil war to both sides , years ago it was quite common to see civil war relics at local auctions in southern Ontario, at one time I owned a Spencer Carbine that had the owners name carved in the stock "John Young" on the other side the carving read "Surrender of Lee" I traced the gun by serial number to the New York Volunteers, the owner to the same unit, after further research I learned that the units last engagement was at the battle of Appomattox.The gun came out of Kitchener Ontario As well I have seen numerous Union Army Kepis as well as several Confederate swords so its no stretch to find Civil War relics here in Canada . I own martially market 1860 Colt army, Starr and Whitney revolvers all from local Estate sales. Sure the strap is incorrect, that's obvious, you see lots of items with later improvised additions to me the look of the covering and soldered joint certainly give credence to the fact that the canteen itself has age, is it US military that's for the experts

6. Thank You to #1oilman For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by #1oilman View Post
    Canadaicon fielded somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000 soldiers during the American civil war to both sides , years ago it was quite common to see civil war relics at local auctions in southern Ontario, at one time I owned a Spencer Carbine that had the owners name carved in the stock "John Young" on the other side the carving read "Surrender of Lee" I traced the gun by serial number to the New York Volunteers, the owner to the same unit, after further research I learned that the units last engagement was at the battle of Appomattox.The gun came out of Kitchener Ontario As well I have seen numerous Union Army Kepis as well as several Confederate swords so its no stretch to find Civil War relics here in Canada . I own martially market 1860 Colt army, Starr and Whitney revolvers all from local Estate sales. Sure the strap is incorrect, that's obvious, you see lots of items with later improvised additions to me the look of the covering and soldered joint certainly give credence to the fact that the canteen itself has age, is it US military that's for the experts
    Now that is some very interesting information. Thank you. I did know that some Canadians were involved in the war between the states, but I hadn't known the extent. It's very possible that I overlooked civil war militaria at the gun shows merely from a lack of interest. I'll be more on the lookout this weekend at the Jerseryville show. And to Wally G, thank you for the link. I've contracted them with some pics so we'll see what they have to say.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence_n View Post
    I've contracted them with some pics so we'll see what they have to say.
    Could you let us know either way, if it is or isn't Civil War, please?

Last On
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying10uk View Post
    Could you let us know either way, if it is or isn't Civil War, please?
    Certainly! Given all the assistance you all have provided, I owe you at least that.

10. Thank You to lawrence_n For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel Patrick Chadwick's Avatar
    Last On
    06-25-2023 @ 06:36 AM
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    01:16 PM
    Wood, leather, cloth ... they all age merely by exposure to the air.

That cloth/webbing doesn't look any older than me.

My guess: post-WW2
    Last edited by Patrick Chadwick; 08-05-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Last On
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    Patrick, I appreciate the input, but as you say, "your guess". Take a look at ebay or do some online research. There are verified civil war canteens that don't look any different from the one I picked up. As I mentioned, I'm looking for someone who can tell me what to look at, what to look for, or to point me to a site or appraiser who can give me an definitive answer.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:35 AM
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence_n View Post
    As I mentioned, I'm looking for someone who can tell me what to look at, what to look for, or to point me to a site or appraiser who can give me an definitive answer.
    Yours for $51. Good luck.
    https://m.barnesandnoble.com/p/the-civil-war-canteen-third-edition-robert-jones/1129039017/2660126181953?st=PLA&sid=BNB_ADL+Marketplace+Good+New+Books+-+Mobile+Low&sourceId=PLAGoNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Google_m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqqqDjOXs4wIVB_7jBx2TYwIjEAQYASAB EgLkd_D_BwE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast