A couple years ago I picked up an Underwood carbine that has a Winchester bolt and trigger housing. In January this year, I finally got around to breaking it down and identifying most of the internal parts. The ejector looked like a Type 1 (Riesch) that someone had "ground down" a bit on the end. To eliminate any doubt, I decided to replace it with a new Type 3 from my parts stash.

Not long ago, I was looking through WarBaby III, and saw Ruth's update, listing a (fourth) "Type D" ejector. Then, over on Jim Mock's website I saw an illustration of a fourth ejector type - shown as being used in 1943, concurrently with the (Riesch) Type 1. Both of these "fourth type" ejectors look just like the one I pulled out of that Winchester bolt. I checked the dimensions on this one against those shown in Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual and even though it looks like it's been ground on, it's only off spec by about .004" on the length.

So, my question is: Does anyone have any reference showing the reason these were introduced, and if for some reason they were superceeded? Or, is WarBaby III correct in showing them as the final version after what we generally call a Type 3? Did the CCNL's ever mention where these ejectors fit into the scheme of things?

Thanks! - Bob
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.