Gents,

I just got back into Enfields after a hiatus, and am wondering a few questions which may be straight forward, but I might be behind the latest research.

My questions deal with the 1025 No 1 MK Vi rifles and some of the No 4 trials rifles:

1) Skennertonicon writes the No 1 MK VI rifles were mostly reworked in the WWWII period. However other than rifles in museums, the two 1940 No 1 MK VI rifles I have seen seem to have been built on un-numbered actions, not rebuilt actions in the 25,xxx to 27,xxxA range. Does anyone know how many of these No 1 MK VI actions were made up into No 4 clones? I ask as I am wondering what the actual number of NO 1 MK VI actions were made, it seems to be at least 1025 +3

2) I note the 1,403 Enfield made No 4 T rifles include both No 4 trials rifles and early No 4 Savage guns. Does anyone know what the breakdown of rifles is between the two types, that is how many were trials rifles and how many were Savages?

I ask as other than maybe 1 or two trials rifles in museums, every single No 4 Trials rifles I have seen in the US was an ex T model. But given that there were ~2,500 of the No 4 trials rifles made, there should be between 1,100 and ?? of them about, yet they seem far rarer than the T model. Just curious on that.

3) most of the Savage no 4 T rifles seem to have 1945 UKicon 5 groove barrels in them, at least that is what I recall seeing back when I paid attention to such things. Most of them also seem to have never had a scope fitted. What is the explanation for this seeming dichotomy ? Was it that Enfield post war made up the Savage rifles using rifles actually owned by the UK? Or were they like the No t trials rifles set up prior to the Holland and Holland contract and then just sat around for 4 years gathering dust?

Thanks for anyone who has an answer or a price of the puzzle.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.