Last On
    04-19-2021 @ 09:36 PM
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    08:20 AM

Savage T sniper question

Hello,

I am new to post but have been a lurker for a long time, I currently own one T less savage and a nice BSA both are correct. I recently bid and won an auction on a very earl OC serial range Savage, but it has some “potential flags” about it. For starters the rear sight was swapped for a national match Parker Hale (nice addition) and this could have been done by a shooter was enthusiastic about increasing accuracy.

The second give away is the king screw swivel missing, I know these weren’t always issued but at times of overhaul they were out fitted. Third, the buttstock isn’t a savage butlooks to be a different wood from the rest. Serial range is an early 1943, I have a three day inspection window and it will arrive tomorrow. I’m going to post the link to the gunbroker auction (ended) to see if I can get any thoughts before it arrives. I do own the armourers perspective and has come in handy, but with this rifle I need a little more help. I should also mention it has the “TR” on the socket but no “T” on the receiver wall, and at one point was issued a scope or it seems it was.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/821686445
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    04-25-2024 @ 01:27 PM
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    07:20 AM
    looks like a good deal. forget the swivel as a "potential flag" - it's a replaceable part.

I'd be more interested in whether it retains it's original barrel (probably originally 6 groove).

remove the butt stock and see if it has a serial number under the socket shelf - it's possible that it was replaced at conversion...or FTR..or..again it's a replaceable part.
    BSN from the Republic of Alberta

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Contributing Member smle addict's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Real Name
    A. G.
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    06:20 AM
    I'll go out on a limb and say you did alright. I have two 1943 BSA T's that look like yours; black paint (suncorite), differing wood. I have owned three Savages like the one pictured over the years. The first one I had was near perfect. It was stocked in walnut, had a few small dings, all parts savage, S51 on stock. I had another that was still all original, cheekpiece removed, and heavily used; probably during service India. Sold those two when I divorced. Neither had the sling swivel in front of magazine.

The one I currently own is a Mk I*, no scope number, no T, (but marked TR), and is wearing a replacement forearm. It was originally a cut down sporter. Its a nice shooter now. This rifle also has evidence of bubba's ham-fists trying to removed the scope pad screws. Mine are all boogered-up like yours.

If you decide to keep (which I would) I have a spare T backsight with ground off battle-peep. It's SM41 marked. If interested, maybe we can work a deal, as I a need PH sight (like yours) for one of my .22's.

Either way, I think it's an honest, well-traveled rifle that has picked up a few non-S pieces here and there throughout its life. I'd keep it.

Best of luck

edit- I do remember both of my previous rifles had 5-goove barrels, dated 1945. My current one also has a 5 groove '45.

Last On
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by smle addict View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say you did alright. I have two 1943 BSA T's that look like yours; black paint (suncorite), differing wood. I have owned three Savages like the one pictured over the years. The first one I had was near perfect. It was stocked in walnut, had a few small dings, all parts savage, S51 on stock. I had another that was still all original, cheekpiece removed, and heavily used; probably during service India. Sold those two when I divorced. Neither had the sling swivel in front of magazine.

The one I currently own is a Mk I*, no scope number, no T, (but marked TR), and is wearing a replacement forearm. It was originally a cut down sporter. Its a nice shooter now. This rifle also has evidence of bubba's ham-fists trying to removed the scope pad screws. Mine are all boogered-up like yours.

If you decide to keep (which I would) I have a spare T backsight with ground off battle-peep. It's SM41 marked. If interested, maybe we can work a deal, as I a need PH sight (like yours) for one of my .22's.

Either way, I think it's an honest, well-traveled rifle that has picked up a few non-S pieces here and there throughout its life. I'd keep it.

Best of luck

edit- I do remember both of my previous rifles had 5-goove barrels, dated 1945. My current one also has a 5 groove '45.
    I would be interested in a deal on the sights, I have never seen a Parker Hale sight like this. This is my 2nd savage as well, my first is a mark I* T-less that has a two groove barrel. Very picky on ammo, I used wolf once and it would key hole like no other. My M47c on the other hand, I would take into battle no questions. Very reliable accurate weapon, just feels right behind the sights on that one.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 11:14 AM
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    09:20 AM
    I've had several legit Savage No.4Mk.1* T rifles but have never seen one dated 1943. I've seen Savage Mk.1 rifles dated 1941 and still have 0C160 here in my collection. It was also never completed with a scope. All of the Mk.1* Savages I've had were dated 1942. Many Savage rifles failed the stocking up at H&H and that's why you find them with Britishicon walnut forends. They will often have five groove British barrels installed too.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

I think you're mistaking stained birch for walnut smle addict. I've had hundreds of Savage No.4 service rifles and have yet to see a Savage marked walnut forend, handguard or butt. I could be wrong but I don't think they exist. Was your wood replaced with British walnut?

Last On
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dickicon View Post
    I've had several legit Savage No.4Mk.1* T rifles but have never seen one dated 1943. I've seen Savage Mk.1 rifles dated 1941 and still have 0C160 here in my collection. It was also never completed with a scope. All of the Mk.1* Savages I've had were dated 1942. Many Savage rifles failed the stocking up at H&H and that's why you find them with Britishicon walnut forends. They will often have five groove British barrels installed too.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

I think you're mistaking stained birch for walnut smle addict. I've had hundreds of Savage No.4 service rifles and have yet to see a Savage marked walnut forend, handguard or butt. I could be wrong but I don't think they exist. Was your wood replaced with British walnut?
    I was incorrect in saying mine were a 1943, they both are 1942 to include the one in the link.

Last On
    Real Name
    A. G.
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    Brian:

You are correct sir, and as sharp as ever. The early (1942) one I had was indeed replaced with Britishicon walnut, I assume when the barrel was swapped out to a five-groove. After all the years, I forgot the fine details. I do remember I paid $350 for it. This was the same time unwrapped No 4's were selling for $179, and SKS' were $59. $350 seemed like a lot back then. If I had only kept it...

The beat-up one was birch, as is my current savage. Albeit, its an un-numbered Savage replacement.

Cheesy411: when you get the rifle and if you decide to keep it, PM me, re: sight swap.

9. Thank You to smle addict For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by smle addict View Post
    Brian:

You are correct sir, and as sharp as ever. The early (1942) one I had was indeed replaced with Britishicon walnut, I assume when the barrel was swapped out to a five-groove. After all the years, I forgot the fine details. I do remember I paid $350 for it. This was the same time unwrapped No 4's were selling for $179, and SKS' were $59. $350 seemed like a lot back then. If I had only kept it...

The beat-up one was birch, as is my current savage. Albeit, its an un-numbered Savage replacement.

Cheesy411: when you get the rifle and if you decide to keep it, PM me, re: sight swap.
    If all checks out and it is the real deal I plan on keeping it, I was trying to save some money but I’m sucker for anything commonwealth let alone no4 snipers. I listed a few things to make my purchase lol.

Last On
    Real Name
    A. G.
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    here a thread link to the Savage I put back to shooting condition:

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=55161

Last On
    07-28-2020 @ 09:41 PM
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    09:20 AM
    How does any Savage T have the TR marking on it, if that was a selection marking applied ad BSA and Maltby?

13. Thank You to Frederick303 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast