One thing I was hoping to find was the meaning of the 3GM-K Cartouche on the M1917's. I'm still pouring over research so I hope I maybe caught something and haven't seen it yet.

But I do see some things that might trigger something that someone else knows that might figure this out.

For the most part, all rebuilds and storage of the M1917 in the docs is with Armories we all know. I didn't find any surprises there.

But I do find a few things that might be a clue to the 3GM-k.

While some say that GM might have rebuilt them, I haven't found any mention of that. The only time they were ever outsourced by Army Ordnance to have a commercial company rebuild them was by the Wright Engineering Company in Lisbon Ohio. They had a contract to rebuild 56,000 M1917's that started after Sept 1944 and continued to May 1945.

Other than this one commercial company, the only other way I can see as a possibility is M1917's were in the hands of the Navy and also the Zone of the Interior and the Office of Strategic Affairs.

For the Navy the main rebuild depots were Norfolk and Oakland, so I don't see a tie in to the 3GM-k with them.

I don't know enough about the Zone of Interior or Office of Strategic Affairs to see if there would be a correlation.

I would guess the most likely solution is the Wright Engineering Company in Ohio, but I can't figure it out.

I'm hoping someone viewing this, might see something here that I don't see.

This is one thing I wouldn't mind figuring out.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Googling Wright Engineering Ohio I saw a few things.

"The Wright Company buildings changed hands several times. The Dayton-Wright Airplane Company bought the buildings during World War I and named them Plant 3."

"General Motors acquired Dayton-Wright in September of 1919, but GM didn’t stay in the airplane business. In 1922, GM began to sell a steering wheel invented by Dayton-Wright engineer Harvey D. Geyer, a former Wright Company employee. Geyer’s steering wheel used a new manufacturing process to produce a superior wheel. The product was so successful that GM formed a new division around it—the Inland Manufacturing Division. The division started in the original Wright Company buildings but quickly expanded."

It really might be this Wright Engineering was owned by GM and this plant, was plant 3...

K would be the individual inspector.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.