Krieger barrels will happily make a contoured and rifled blank for the Ross. I have a gunsmith that will remove the old barrel, so that I can send it to Krieger for them to copy. Once I receive the new barrel, about 3 months, the gunsmith will cut the threads (I have read they are 12TPI), chamber it in 303 Britishicon, blue it and install it.

I'm really tempted to go with a .308 barrel instead of .311. Factory 303 British is hard to find and expensive when I do. I hand-load so that's not a big deal but the selection of .311 bullets is meager at best and non-existent at worst.

If I go with a .308 barrel I can get just about any kind of bullet under the sun. I can also go with 5R rifling from Krieger, which I have found to be really easy to clean. As this is 30-1/2 barrel that becomes a small factor.

I've never loaded .308's in 303 cases so I'm not exactly sure how that will work but I know a lot of folks do it.

Should I go with the .308 bore?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.