Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and to Enfields in general with the NZicon LEC 1* that I got just last month being the first one to make it into my collection. Very happy to finally get a rifle of this family, moreso one of these!

Now, straight to the issue that I have run into and apologies for the lengthy description. I didn't think to take pictures until the end. So, when I went to disassemble the bolt for cleaning I found that the retaining screw was bulging up on one side. This was the side more over the firing pin, which looked like it was probably tightened while the retaining screw was still in. This made the slot narrower and therefore too small for any flathead screwdriver that I have. My dad, who is more mechanically inclined than myself, offered to see if he could use a dremel to make the slot wide enough. He did so, but when we went to unscrew the retaining screw, the head snapped in half. This was a known risk and is shown in the following photo.

Attachment 103361

I know that it is hard to find parts for these guns, so I hoped that a replacement screw from a No.1 Mk.3 would work. I ordered a new reproduction and an original one from Numrich. The original one turned out to be too big in diameter, not even remotely close to being the right screw. The reproduction one was the correct diameter, albeit longer. When I tried to fit the screw it wouldn't even start going in. This was figured out after looking under a magnifying glass, seen here:

Attachment 103362

This is a comparison of the original screw (left) and the reproduction (right). Other than the obvious difference in length, there also appears to be a difference in the threads pitch. This is highlighted by the red arrows showing two points where the thread peaks touch on different sides.

Attachment 103363

This photo is just to better clarify which exact screw is being referred to so there is less chance of confusion. The hole on the bottom is the spot for the retaining screw.

I have a few questions related to how difficult it will be to get a correct replacement screw:
  1. Are there any screws for sale that I have missed in my searching or aren't directly for these rifles that would work?
  2. Are there any known screws that are the same size and have the same pitch that can be modified to work?
  3. Should I just try going somewhere (i.e. gunsmith) and have one custom made if possible?
  4. Other options?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.